While I believe that the 4th of July is more than just fireworks and eating, I still enjoy all of the eating :)
Here are some items I made this 4th:
Low Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 cup Smart Balance Light Butter
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar (Splenda)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups semisweet chocolate pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar (Splenda), baking soda, and salt. Beat until mixture is combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Stir in chocolate pieces.
2. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 60 cookies. *
Cookies judged as yummy and loved by my co-workers. These also freeze really well, so make a double batch and save them for that night that you just have to have CHOCOLATE!
*2 WW Pts
5 cups of fresh blueberries
4 tablespoons Splenda
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar or brown sugar substitute equivalent
1/4 cup and 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup Smart Balance Light Butter
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Frozen light or fat free whipped dessert topping, thawed (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Wash and place blueberries in a 2 quart baking dish.
2. Sprinkle berries with 4 tablespoons of Splenda and 3 tablespoons of flour.
3. For topping, in a medium bowl, stir together oats, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Stir in the nuts and sprinkle over the top of the fruit.
3. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until fruit is tender and topping is golden.
4. Cool slightly. Serve warm. If desired, top with whipped topping or light ice cream. Serves 8.
This blueberry crisp was super easy to make and a big crowd pleaser. My family loved the fresh berries and crispy top. Judged as a great summertime dish.
*4 WW Pts
*6 WW Pts with .5 cup of light ice cream